If you are playing Minecraft on Xbox, you might wonder how to add and join custom servers that are not featured in the game. Adding and joining custom servers on Minecraft Xbox is not as straightforward as on other devices, such as PC or mobile. You will need to change some settings on your console and use a third-party app called BedrockConnect to access the server list. We will show you how to add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox in a few simple steps.
To add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox, you need to:
- Go to your Xbox settings and change your DNS settings to one of the IP addresses provided by BedrockConnect.
- Launch Minecraft and go to the Servers tab. Scroll down and select Add Server.
- Enter the server name, address, and port. You can find these details on the server’s website or Discord server.
- Press Play or Save to join or save the server.
How to change your DNS settings on Xbox
The first step to add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox is to change your DNS settings on your console. DNS stands for Domain Name System, which is a system that translates domain names (such as www.google.com) into IP addresses (such as 126.96.36.199). By changing your DNS settings, you can redirect your console’s traffic to a different server that will allow you to access the custom server list.
To change your DNS settings on Xbox, follow these steps:
- Go to your Xbox settings, then click General and select Network Settings.
- Go to Advanced Settings and choose DNS Settings.
- Click Manual and enter one of the IP addresses provided by BedrockConnect in the Primary IPv4 DNS field. You can choose any of the following IP addresses:
|188.8.131.52||United States||This address is known to be problematic for some players|
|184.108.40.206||United States||An alternative choice for US players|
|220.127.116.11||United States||Located in Central US, best for those in this region|
|18.104.22.168||Germany||No DNS service, only BedrockConnect server|
|22.214.171.124||Germany||Alternative choice for Germany players|
|126.96.36.199||United Kingdom||No DNS service, only BedrockConnect server|
- For the Secondary IPv4 DNS field, enter 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206.
- Save your changes and exit the settings.
How to add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox
After changing your DNS settings, you are ready to add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox. To do so, follow these steps:
- Launch Minecraft and go to the Play menu.
- Select the Servers tab and scroll down to the bottom.
- Select Add Server and enter the server name, address, and port in the respective fields.
- Press Play or Save to join or save the server.
You can find the server name, address, and port on the server’s website or Discord server.
Some of the most popular custom servers for Minecraft Bedrock are:
How to find the best servers to play on
There are thousands of custom servers for Minecraft Bedrock, each offering different features, game modes, and communities. To find the best servers to play on, you can use the following tips:
- Check the server’s website or Discord server for more information about the server, such as rules, staff, events, updates, and feedback.
- Look for servers that have a high player count, a good reputation, and a friendly community.
- Try out different servers and see which ones suit your preferences and play style.
- Avoid servers that have excessive lag, bugs, hackers, or toxic players.
How to troubleshoot common issues
Sometimes, you might encounter some issues when trying to add or join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox. Here are some of the most common issues and how to fix them:
- If you get an error message saying “Unable to connect to world”, it could mean that the server is offline, full, or incompatible with your game version. Try joining a different server or check the server’s website or Discord server for updates.
- If you get an error message saying “Invalid IP address”, it could mean that you entered the wrong IP address or port for the server. Double-check the server details and make sure you entered them correctly.
- If you get an error message saying “Unable to resolve host name”, it could mean that your DNS settings are not working properly. Try using a different IP address from BedrockConnect or reset your DNS settings to default.
- If you get an error message saying “You cannot play online multiplayer through Xbox Live because of how your account is set up”, it could mean that your Xbox Live account has some restrictions that prevent you from playing online. Check your Xbox Live privacy and online safety settings and make sure you have permission to join multiplayer games.
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about adding and joining custom servers on Minecraft Xbox:
- Q: Do I need Xbox Live Gold to join custom servers?
- A: Yes, you need Xbox Live Gold or Ultimate online subscription to join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox.
- Q: Can I join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox with friends?
- A: Yes, you can join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox with friends who are also playing on Xbox or other devices that support the Bedrock edition of Minecraft.
- Q: Can I create my own custom server on Minecraft Xbox?
- A: No, you cannot create your own custom server on Minecraft Xbox. You can only join existing servers that are hosted by other players or communities.
- Q: Will changing my DNS settings affect other games or apps on my Xbox?
- A: No, changing your DNS settings will not affect other games or apps on your Xbox. However, if you want to revert your DNS settings to default, you can do so by following the same steps as before and choosing Automatic instead of Manual.
- Q: How can I update my Minecraft game version to join custom servers?
- A: You can update your Minecraft game version by going to My Games & Apps on your Xbox and selecting Minecraft. Then, press the Menu button and choose Manage Game & Add-ons. Select Updates and install any available updates.
Adding and joining custom servers on Minecraft Xbox is a great way to enhance your gaming experience and have fun with other players. However, it requires some extra steps and settings that might seem confusing at first. By following this guide, you should be able to add and join custom servers on Minecraft Xbox without any problems.