If you are a gamer who owns both a PC and an Xbox you might have wondered if you can play your Steam games on your console. Steam is one of the most popular gaming platforms on PC with thousands of titles to choose from. Xbox on the other hand. Wouldn’t it be great if you could combine the best of both worlds and enjoy your Steam games on your Xbox? We will explain how GeForce Now works how to set it up on your Xbox and what are the benefits and drawbacks of playing Steam games on Xbox.
The answer is yes you can play Steam games on Xbox but not in the way you might expect. You can’t install Steam on your Xbox or download Steam games directly to your console. Instead you need to use a game streaming service called GeForce Now which lets you stream your Steam library from your PC to your Xbox via the Edge browser.
What is GeForce Now and how does it work?
GeForce Now is a game streaming service that lets you play PC games on various devices such as laptops smartphones tablets TVs and consoles. It works by running the games on NVIDIA’s cloud servers and streaming them to your device over the internet.
You don’t need to download or install the games as long as you own them on supported platforms like Steam Epic Games Store Ubisoft Connect or GOG.
GeForce Now has two types of memberships: free and priority. The free membership lets you play for up to one hour per session with standard access to the servers. The priority membership costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year and lets you play for up to six hours per session with priority access to the servers and RTX features for some games.
To use GeForce Now on your Xbox you need to have the latest version of the Edge browser installed on your console. You also need to have a PC that meets the minimum requirements for GeForce Now which are:
- Windows 10 (version 1903 or higher)
- Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X processor or higher
- 4 GB of RAM or more
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU or higher
- DirectX 11 or higher
- 15 Mbps internet speed or higher
You also need to have a good internet connection on both your PC and your Xbox preferably wired or over 5 GHz Wi-Fi. You also need to connect a mouse and keyboard to your Xbox for some games that don’t support controllers.
How to set up GeForce Now on your Xbox
To play Steam games on your Xbox using GeForce Now you need to follow these steps:
- Sign up for a GeForce Now account on their website.
- Download the GeForce Now app on your PC from the Microsoft Store.
- Sign in to the app with your GeForce Now account.
- Launch the Edge browser on your Xbox and go to https://play.geforcenow.com.
- Sign in with your GeForce Now account.
- Select the game you want to play from your library or browse the supported games.
- The game will start streaming to your Xbox.
- Enjoy playing your Steam games on your Xbox.
Benefits of playing Steam games on Xbox
Playing Steam games on Xbox using GeForce Now has several benefits such as:
- You can access a huge library of PC games that are not available on the Xbox Store.
- You can play some games in 4K resolution and with RTX features if you have a priority membership.
- You can use your existing Steam account and achievements without creating a new one.
- You can save storage space on your console by streaming the games instead of downloading them.
- You can switch between devices easily without losing progress.
Drawbacks of playing Steam games on Xbox
Playing Steam games on Xbox using GeForce Now also has some drawbacks such as:
- You need to have a good internet connection on both your PC and your Xbox for a smooth gaming experience.
- You may experience some latency or lag depending on your network conditions and server load.
- You may encounter some compatibility issues with some games that don’t support controllers or have different settings on PC and Xbox.
- You may lose access to some games if they are removed from GeForce Now or Steam.
- You may have to wait in a queue to access the servers if you have a free membership.
Is There a Secret Method to Play Bluray on Xbox?
Here are some frequently asked questions about playing Steam games on Xbox using GeForce Now:
Q: Do I need to buy the games again on GeForce Now?
A: No you don’t need to buy the games again on GeForce Now. You only need to own them on supported platforms like Steam Epic Games Store Ubisoft Connect or GOG. You can link your accounts to GeForce Now and access your library.
Q: Can I play multiplayer games with my friends on Steam or Xbox?
A: Yes you can play multiplayer games with your friends on Steam or Xbox using GeForce Now. You can join the same servers and chat with them as usual. However you may not be able to cross-play with some games that have different versions on PC and Xbox.
Q: Can I use my Xbox controller to play Steam games?
A: Yes you can use your Xbox controller to play Steam games using GeForce Now. However some games may not support controllers or have different button mappings on PC and Xbox. You may need to adjust the settings or use a mouse and keyboard for some games.
Q: Can I use my Xbox headset to chat with other players?
A: Yes you can use your Xbox headset to chat with other players using GeForce Now. However some games may not support voice chat or have different audio settings on PC and Xbox. You may need to adjust the settings or use a different app for voice chat.
Q: Can I earn Xbox achievements by playing Steam games?
A: No you can’t earn Xbox achievements by playing Steam games using GeForce Now. You can only earn Steam achievements that are linked to your Steam account.
Q: How much data does GeForce Now use?
A: According to NVIDIA GeForce Now uses about 10 GB of data per hour for 720p resolution 20 GB of data per hour for 1080p resolution and 40 GB of data per hour for 4K resolution. You should check your data plan and usage before using GeForce Now.
Playing Steam games on Xbox is possible thanks to GeForce Now a game streaming service that lets you access your PC library on your console via the Edge browser. You need to have a GeForce Now account a PC that meets the minimum requirements and a good internet connection. You also need to connect a mouse and keyboard to your Xbox for some games that don’t support controllers.