|– You can turn on your Sony soundbar without a remote by using the buttons on the soundbar the TV remote or a smartphone app.
|– The buttons on the soundbar can control the power volume input and sound modes.
|– The TV remote can control the soundbar if they are connected via HDMI ARC and have the Control for HDMI function enabled.
|– The smartphone app can control the soundbar if they are paired via Bluetooth or connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Using the Buttons on the Soundbar
One of the simplest ways to turn on your Sony soundbar without a remote is to use the buttons on the soundbar itself. Depending on the model of your soundbar you may have different buttons available. Here are some common buttons and their functions:
- Power: This button turns the soundbar on or off. You can also press and hold it for a few seconds to activate the Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Volume +/-: These buttons adjust the volume level of the soundbar. You can also press and hold them to skip tracks when playing music from a Bluetooth device.
- Input: This button cycles through the available input sources of the soundbar such as HDMI optical analog or Bluetooth.
- Sound Mode: This button changes the sound mode of the soundbar such as standard cinema music or voice.
The location and layout of the buttons may vary depending on your soundbar model. Refer to your soundbar manual for more details.
Using the TV Remote
Another way to turn on your Sony soundbar without a remote is to use your TV remote. This method requires that your soundbar and TV are connected via an HDMI cable that supports Audio Return Channel (ARC). This feature allows you to send audio from your TV to your soundbar and control them with one remote.
To use this method you need to enable the Control for HDMI function on both your soundbar and TV. This function allows them to communicate and synchronize their settings. Here are the steps to enable this function:
- On your soundbar press and hold the (BLUETOOTH) button and the (TV) button or (INPUT) button (*) on the soundbar’s remote control at the same time for five seconds. The display will show BT ON or BT OFF indicating that the Control for HDMI function is enabled or disabled.
- On your TV press the Home or Menu button on the TV remote. Select Settings or Setup. Select HDMI. Select Control for HDMI. Select ON.
- TV button for HT-X9000F INPUT button for HT-X8500
Once you have enabled this function you can use your TV remote to control your soundbar. You can turn them on or off simultaneously adjust the volume level and change the input source. Refer to your TV manual for more details.
Using a Smartphone App
A third way to turn on your Sony soundbar without a remote is to use a smartphone app. This method requires that your soundbar and smartphone are paired via Bluetooth or connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can use either the Sony Music Center app or the Google Home app to control your soundbar.
The Sony Music Center app allows you to access various settings and features of your soundbar such as volume input sound mode equalizer and more. You can also play music from your smartphone or online streaming services through your soundbar. Here are the steps to use this app:
- Download and install the Sony Music Center app from Google Play or App Store.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your smartphone and pair it with your soundbar.
- Launch the app and select your soundbar from the device list.
- Tap on Control Audio Device to access the settings and features of your soundbar.
The Google Home app allows you to control your soundbar with voice commands through Google Assistant. You can also group it with other smart speakers and create routines for different scenarios. Here are the steps to use this app:
- Download and install the Google Home app from Google Play or App Store.
- Connect your smartphone and soundbar to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Launch the app and tap on Add (+) at the top left corner.
- Tap on Set up device and follow the instructions to add your soundbar to your home.
- Tap on your soundbar from the device list and adjust its settings as desired.
- Say “Hey Google” followed by a voice command to control your soundbar.
Some examples of voice commands are:
- “Hey Google turn on/off (soundbar name).”
- “Hey Google set volume to (number) on (soundbar name).”
- “Hey Google play/pause/stop/skip/resume music on (soundbar name).”
Refer to your app manual for more details.
Follow Up Questions and Answers
Q: How do I know if my HDMI cable supports ARC?
A: You can check the label or packaging of your HDMI cable for the ARC logo or the words “Audio Return Channel”. You can also check the HDMI port on your soundbar and TV for the ARC label. The ARC port is usually labeled as HDMI IN 1 (ARC) on the soundbar and HDMI OUT (ARC) on the TV.
Q: How do I reset my soundbar to factory settings?
A: The reset method may vary depending on your soundbar model. Refer to your soundbar manual for more details. Here is a general procedure to reset your soundbar:
- Turn off your soundbar and unplug the power cord.
- Press and hold the (POWER) button on the soundbar for more than five seconds.
- Plug in the power cord and turn on your soundbar.
- The display will show RESET indicating that the soundbar has been reset.
Note: All the settings including the Bluetooth pairing information will be reset after resetting the soundbar.
Q: How do I update the software of my soundbar?
A: The software update method may vary depending on your soundbar model. Refer to your soundbar manual for more details. Here is a general procedure to update your soundbar software:
- Connect your soundbar to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable.
- Turn on your soundbar and press the Home or Menu button on the remote control.
- Select Setup or Settings. Select System Settings. Select Software Update.
- Select Network or USB to choose the update source.
- Follow the instructions to download and install the latest software version.
Note: Do not turn off your soundbar or disconnect it from the internet during the update process.