It’s no secret that the PlayStation 4 reigns supreme when it comes to console gaming. But what if you want to take your game on the go? That’s where remote play comes in, allowing you to stream games from your PS4 to a laptop or other device. But what if you don’t have a nearby TV?
In this post, we’ll show you how to connect PS4 to a laptop without using remote play.
Remote play is a feature that allows users to connect their PlayStation 4 to another device, such as a laptop, and play games as if they were on the console itself. This feature was first introduced on the PlayStation 3, but it didn’t gain much traction until the release of the PS4. With the PS4, the remote play became a staple feature, with Sony even releasing an official app for it.
However, there are some drawbacks to using remote play. For one, it requires a strong internet connection for it to work properly. Additionally, not all games are compatible with remote play. And finally, it can be tricky to set up if you don’t have a nearby TV.
Connecting PS4 to laptop without remote play
If you want to connect your PS4 to a laptop without using remote play, you can do so by using a capture card. A capture card is a piece of hardware that allows you to record or stream your gameplay.
There are many different types of capture cards available on the market, but for this method, we recommend the Elgato HD60 S. It’s a plug-and-play device that’s easy to set up and use. Plus, it delivers great quality gameplay footage.
Secondly, you need to have the right cables to connect your PS4 and the capture card to your laptop. For this, you’ll need an HDMI cable and a USB C to USB A cable. Keep in mind that this USB cable should be 3.0 or higher, as lower versions won’t work with the capture card.
Once you have all the necessary hardware and cables, you can start setting up your PS4 and laptop for gameplay.
Depending on your capture card download the corresponding software from the internet. For our recommended capture card, you need to download and install Elgato Game Capture HD.
Next, open up the software on your laptop and sign in with your account. Once you’re signed in, connect your capture card to your laptop using the USB cable.
After the capture card is connected, you’ll see a preview of your gameplay on the software’s main screen. At this point, you can go ahead and launch the game you want to play on your PS4.
Now it’s time to connect your PS4 to the capture card. To do this, simply take an HDMI cable and connect one end to the HDMI OUT port on your PS4. Then, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the IN port on the capture card.
Once your PS4 is connected to the capture card, you should see your game’s audio and video playing on the software’s main screen. At this point, you can go ahead and start playing your game on your laptop!
Adjust the settings on capture card software
1. If you want to adjust the audio or video settings of your gameplay, you can do so by clicking on the cog icon in the top right corner of the software’s main screen.
2. From here, you can adjust the audio input and output, as well as the video resolution and framerate. We recommend leaving the audio settings at their default values but feel free to experiment with them until you find a setting that you’re happy with.
3. As for the video settings, we recommend changing the resolution to 720p and the framerate to 60fps. This will give you the best possible quality gameplay without putting too much load on your computer’s resources. Of course, you can always change these settings later if you need to.
4. Once you’re happy with your settings, click on the “Start Recording” button to start recording your gameplay. You can also click on the “Start Streaming” button if you want to stream your gameplay live.
5. To stop recording or streaming, simply click on the “Stop” button in the top left corner of the software’s main screen. Your recorded footage will then be saved to your computer’s hard drive.
Things to keep in consideration
1. Keep in mind that this method will only work if your computer is powerful enough to handle the video and audio processing. If your computer does not have the required features, you may experience laggy gameplay or other issues.
2. Another thing to keep in mind is that using a capture card will decrease your battery life. So if you’re planning on playing for a long time, plug your laptop into an outlet.
3. Finally, keep in mind that capture cards can be expensive. Prices range from around $100 to $300, depending on the brand and features. So if you’re not sure you need one, we recommend doing some research first before making a purchase.
1. If you’re having trouble getting your PS4 to connect to the capture card, make sure that the HDMI cable is securely inserted into both the PS4 and the capture card.
2. If you’re still having trouble, try restarting your PS4 and laptop. This may fix the issue.
3. If you’re experiencing laggy gameplay, we recommend changing the video settings in the software to a lower resolution and framerate. You can also try closing any programs that are running in the background on your computer.
4. If you’re experiencing audio issues, make sure that the audio settings in the software are set to their default values.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I connect my ps4 to my laptop via Bluetooth?
Unfortunately, you cannot connect your PS4 to your laptop via Bluetooth. The only way to connect your PS4 to a laptop is by using a capture card or the remote play feature.
- Can I use a capture card with any laptop?
No, not all laptops are compatible with capture cards. Your laptop must have an HDMI port to use a capture card.
- How do I display HDMI on my laptop?
If your laptop doesn’t have an HDMI port, you won’t be able to connect a capture card. However, some adapters allow you to connect an HDMI cable to a USB port.
- What are the best capture cards for streaming?
Some of the best capture cards for streaming include the Elgato HD60S, the AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2, and the Razer Ripsaw.
In this post, we showed you how to connect PS4 to a laptop without using remote play. This can be done by using a capture card and following the steps outlined in this post. Keep in mind that this method will only work if your computer is powerful enough to handle the video and audio processing. This method will benefit you if you don’t have a remote or if you want to save your battery. We also provided some troubleshooting tips in case you experience any issues.