Split-screen is a functionality that permits you to engage in gaming or utilize an application alongside another person on the same display.
To enable split-screen on Xbox, you will require two controllers and two separate Xbox accounts.
Additionally, you must engage with a game or an application that supports split-screen. Below, you will find a set of instructions to assist you in configuring split-screen on your Xbox:
- Attach both of your controllers to your Xbox console and log in using your respective Xbox accounts.
- Launch the desired game or application that you wish to run in split-screen mode. Some examples of games that offer split-screen compatibility include Fortnite1, Terraria2, and Overcooked.
- Double-press the Xbox button on your controller to access the Snap menu. Opt for “Snap an app” and select the application you want to snap to the right side of your screen. If you own a Kinect, you can also vocally command, “Xbox, snap [name of app].”
- Press the A button on the second controller to join the game or application. You will notice the second player appearing behind the first player in the lobby.
- Commence the game or application and relish the split-screen mode. You can shift your focus between the two applications by double-pressing the Xbox button and picking the app you wish to use. Alternatively, if you possess a Kinect, you can simply utter, “Xbox, switch.”
- To disengage the snapped app, double-press the Xbox button and choose “Unsnap.” Alternatively, if you have a Kinect, you can vocalize, “Xbox, unsnap.”
What are some other games that support split-screen?
Numerous other Xbox games offer split-screen support, catering to various preferences and genres. Here are a few instances of split-screen games that may pique your interest:
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection: This compilation comprises six Halo games featuring the legendary Spartan hero, Master Chief. You can engage in split-screen play with up to four players, whether in campaign or multiplayer modes. Additionally, you have the option to tailor your own maps and modes using the Forge tool. This title is an excellent choice for aficionados of science fiction shooters and grand narratives¹.
- Minecraft: This sandbox game enables you to craft and explore boundless worlds constructed from blocks. You can partake in split-screen action with as many as four players, be it in survival mode, involving resource gathering and fending off adversaries, or in creative mode, granting unrestricted access to all blocks and items. Furthermore, you can connect to online servers and collaborate with players from across the globe. Minecraft is an ideal pick for those who relish creativity and adventure².
- Overcooked! All You Can Eat: This package bundles two uproarious cooking simulators from the Overcooked series. In these chaotic culinary endeavors, you and up to three companions work together in split-screen mode to prepare and serve dishes in kitchens replete with obstacles and hazards. Effective communication and coordination with your teammates are essential to avert mishaps like burnt food, dropped plates, or the clock running out. It’s a fantastic choice for enthusiasts of comedy and teamwork³.
Can I play split-screen games online?
Certainly, it’s possible to engage in split-screen gaming online on the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S, contingent on the specific game and its functionalities.
Several games permit you to partake in online gameplay while concurrently sharing the screen with a friend or family member.
As an illustration, you have the option to enjoy Fortnite1 in split-screen mode, where you can participate in online matches alongside other players.
Additionally, you can engage in split-screen play for Terraria2, either as a host or by joining online sessions with a maximum of eight players.
It’s important to note, however, that not all games are compatible with online split-screen functionality, so it’s advisable to review the game’s description or settings before attempting it.
Furthermore, certain games may necessitate an Xbox Live Gold subscription for online play.
Can I play split-screen games on PC with Xbox controller?
Certainly, it is possible to enjoy split-screen gaming on a PC using an Xbox controller, provided that the game in question offers split-screen functionality and supports controller input. Numerous split-screen games are compatible with an Xbox controller on a PC, including:
- DiRT 5: This is a racing game that allows you to engage in a variety of off-road competitions across the globe. On your PC, you can engage in split-screen gameplay with up to four players, utilizing either controllers or racing wheels. Additionally, the Playgrounds mode enables you to personalize your cars and tracks.
- Overcooked! 2: This culinary adventure game presents you with the challenge of preparing and serving dishes in kitchens riddled with obstacles and hazards. On your PC, you can partake in split-screen gaming with up to four players, employing either controllers or the keyboard and mouse. Furthermore, you have the option to play online with other gamers or participate in seasonal events.
- Screencheat: In this first-person shooter game, all players are invisible, and the objective is to locate your adversaries by peeking at their screens. You can engage in split-screen gaming on your PC with up to four players, using controllers or the keyboard and mouse. Additionally, you can select from a variety of weapons and game modes.
How do I connect my Xbox controller to PC?
To link your Xbox controller to your PC, you have three options: using a USB cable, employing an Xbox Wireless Adapter, or utilizing Bluetooth. Here’s a concise overview of each approach:
- USB cable: This is the most straightforward method for connecting your Xbox controller to your PC. Simply connect one end of the cable to the controller and the other end to your PC’s USB port. If you’re using an Xbox Series X|S, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, or Xbox Adaptive Controller, make sure to use a USB-C cable.
- Xbox Wireless Adapter: This device plugs into your PC’s USB port and enables a wireless connection with your controller. To sync them, press and hold the Pair button on both the adapter and the controller. Some PCs come with built-in Xbox Wireless functionality, eliminating the need for an adapter.
- Bluetooth: Another wireless option involves connecting your controller via Bluetooth. However, your PC must support Bluetooth, and your controller should feature a Bluetooth logo on the front. To establish the connection, press and hold the Pair button on the controller until it starts flashing. Then, navigate to your PC’s Bluetooth settings and add the controller as a device.