The requirement for an Xbox Gold subscription to play Minecraft online is not uniform and varies depending on the gaming platform and the type of gameplay.
- Xbox One: To engage in online play with friends on the Xbox One, an Xbox Live Gold subscription is necessary. This includes activities like hosting and joining servers and creating Minecraft Realms. However, playing in single-player mode or locally does not mandate an Xbox Live subscription.
- PlayStation 4: On the PlayStation 4, a PlayStation Plus subscription is needed to participate in online Minecraft gameplay with friends.
- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Nintendo Switch: For these platforms, you don’t require an Xbox Live account to play Minecraft online. Each platform operates independently with its own servers and networks, making Xbox Live membership unnecessary.
In summary, the need for Xbox Gold to play Minecraft online hinges on the specific platform you’re using.
On the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, a subscription is necessary for online multiplayer, while other platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Nintendo Switch do not require Xbox Live for online play.
- What are the benefits of having an Xbox Live Gold subscription for playing Minecraft online?
- How can I set up a free Microsoft account to access my Minecraft purchases and Realms across different devices?
- What are some of the free-to-play games that do not require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online?
- How can I enable cross-play with my friends who use different platforms to play Minecraft?
What are the benefits of having an Xbox Live Gold subscription for playing Minecraft online?
Having an Xbox Live Gold subscription offers several advantages for playing Minecraft online on the Xbox One.
Here are some of the benefits associated with an Xbox Live Gold subscription:
- Online Multiplayer Access: With Xbox Live Gold, you gain access to online multiplayer gameplay on the Xbox One. This enables you to play Minecraft with friends in a shared online environment.
- Server Hosting and Joining: Xbox Live Gold allows you to both join and host servers in Minecraft, enhancing your multiplayer experience.
- Creation of Minecraft Realms: You can create and manage your own Minecraft Realms, offering a customizable and persistent multiplayer world for you and your friends to explore and build in.
- Xbox Game Pass Access: In addition to Minecraft, an Xbox Live Gold subscription provides access to the Xbox Game Pass, offering a library of over 100 games at no extra cost.
- Participation in Xbox Live Clubs: Xbox Live Gold membership also grants you entry into Xbox Live Clubs, where players can connect, discuss their favorite games, and find new gaming companions.
- Xbox Live Marketplace: You can explore and purchase digital content, including game add-ons and movies, from the Xbox Live Marketplace.
However, it’s important to note that without an Xbox Live Gold subscription, you won’t have the capability to join your friends in a Minecraft world on the Xbox One.
On the other hand, if you are playing Minecraft on platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, or Nintendo Switch, you are not obligated to have an Xbox Live account for online play.
How can I set up a free Microsoft account to access my Minecraft purchases and Realms across different devices?
To create a free Microsoft account for accessing your Minecraft purchases and Realms on various devices, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Minecraft website and click on the “Sign In” option.
- Provide the email address you wish to use for your account and create a password.
- If you are under 13 years of age, you’ll need parental permission to complete your account setup. In such cases, ask your parent to assist you in activating your Microsoft account.
- Once your Microsoft account setup is complete, you can use it to sign in to Minecraft on any device.
- If you’ve purchased Realms Plus, you’ll be able to access all the packs, your personal server, and storage from any device with Minecraft Marketplace as long as you’re signed in with your Microsoft account.
Please note that if you intend to play Minecraft online on Xbox consoles, you will still need to purchase an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
On other platforms like PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, you can utilize a free Microsoft account to sign in to Minecraft.
However, you will still require the relevant subscription service to play online, such as PlayStation Plus or Nintendo Switch Online.
What are some of the free-to-play games that do not require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online?
Certainly, here’s the list of popular free-to-play games organized into three columns of a table:
|3on3 FreeStyle||Aegis Wing||A.P.B. Reloaded|
|Apex Legends||Armored Warfare||Asphalt Legends|
|Battle Ages||Battle Islands||Bless Unleashed|
|Battle Islands: Commanders||Brawlhalla||Call of Duty: Warzone|
|Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium||Crackdown||Crackdown 2|
|Crimson Alliance||Crossout||CRSED: FOAD|
|Dauntless||DC Universe Online||Dead or Alive 5 Last Round: Core Fighters|
|Dead or Alive 6: Core Fighters||Defiance 2050||Destiny 2|
|Doritos Crash Course||Dungeon Defenders II||Enlisted|
|Eternal Card Game||Family Game Night||Fishing Planet|
|Fortnite||Galaxy Control: Arena||Happy Wars|
|Harm’s Way||Halo Infinite (multiplayer only)||Killer Instinct|
|Paladins||Quake 2||Rocket League|
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and there may be other free-to-play games that do not require an Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online.
Additionally, some games may require a subscription for premium multiplayer modes, so it’s advisable to check the game’s listing page in the Microsoft Store to see if it requires Xbox Live Gold.
How can I enable cross-play with my friends who use different platforms to play Minecraft?
Enabling cross-play in Minecraft allows you to enjoy the game with friends using various platforms. Here’s a step-by-step guide to enable cross-play with your friends:
- Ensure that all players are using the same Minecraft version. If you’re on Minecraft Bedrock Edition, you can only connect with players also using Bedrock Edition.
- If you don’t already have a Microsoft account, create one. You can easily set up a free Microsoft account on their website.
- Add your friends to your Microsoft account using their Minecraft ID, known as their Gamertag.
- Launch Minecraft and log in with your Microsoft account.
- Start a new world or join an existing one.
- Invite your friends to join your world by selecting “Invite to Game” and picking your friends from your Microsoft account’s friends list.
- Once your friends accept the invitation, they can join your world and play with you.
Keep in mind that some platforms might have additional requirements for enabling cross-play.
For instance, Xbox One players may need to log in to Xbox Live and adjust their privacy settings to enable cross-play.
Additionally, certain platforms might require a subscription service for online play, like PlayStation Plus or Nintendo Switch Online.